Search Engine

Custom Search

Thursday, November 20, 2008

“What should a government do”?

I just want to remind everyone that one of the purposes of government is to accomplish together that which we cannot accomplish alone. In a way, some of you may see that as open ended. It is, because things change over time and require new responses to new challenges. The living Constitution is different from the actual Constitution. The Founders were indeed intelligent people so they wrote a document that would need interpretation for new circumstances. There are things that we could once do for ourselves that we can no longer do. We must now work together or fail. While we argue over the purpose of government and disagree about it we must still get together to accomplish our collective goals and meet our collective needs. I know I have raised questions that I haven’t begun to address but I think the central thing that divides us right now is the question no one is facing head on, namely to answer the question “What should a government do”?

3 comments:

Andrew Zebrun III said...

I agree with your post, and what's more I think we should head towards more democratic rule, the people should have more of a say in government. I saw a scientific survey that said the majority of people usually pick the RIGHT way to do things. Right now we're being led by a minority, who are NOT picking the right way to go. If our leaders could look to us more, maybe via the Internet, they would see more options that would be better solutions than they are coming up with on their own? I hope I find others who agree with this? andyz7@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Why are you posting an add for your blog in Berlin? You know Europe is overwhelming Pro-Obama right? I assure you no-one here in Berlin cares about your paranoid thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you Europeans should be reading this and care because if the US fails it will affect your life. That is what is wrong with people today. They are under educated and just vote for the popular vote...They have no clue why...It's just what everyone else is doing. Berlin Idiot